I stopped eating dairy about 5 years ago due to an increasing allergy, but seriously miss my favorite food – ice cream. The rich, cool, creaminess of ice cream is tough to give up. When I’m in the mood to indulge a bit and I’ve got the ingredients handy I make my own ice cream. Of course there are non-dairy varieties available in the grocery stores, but unfortunately for me they all contain other ingredients that I’m also allergic to (legume based gums like locust bean and guar gum).
Mint chocolate chip, the green kind of course, will always be my favorite. However, I also love a great coffee ice cream. What’s great about this recipe is you can use your favorite brew to make it your own. Not to mention… it’s just SO good!
- 2 13.5oz cans of full fat Coconut Milk
- 3/4 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste or the Seeds from 1 Vanilla Bean Pod
- Pinch of Pink Salt
- 1/2 c. coffee (strong brewed)
- 3 Egg Yolks
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Set aside.
- Whisk coconut milk until smooth. Strain 1cup coconut milk into a large bowl.
- Add 2 cups coconut milk to a small saucepan, along with sugar, salt, vanilla bean paste and coffee. Cook over medium heat. Stir well to dissolve sugar. When mixture begins to steam, slowly pour 1 cup warm liquid into yolks, while continuously whisking. Transfer the egg mixture into the saucepan. Stir occasionally, cooking over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a rubber spatula.
- Pour the cooked mixture through a mesh strainer into the reserved 1 cup of coconut milk. Stir to combine and cool to room temperature. Cover and chill thoroughly overnight.
- The next day, churn chilled mixture according to manufacturer's instructions. (I used my Kitchen Aid mixer ice cream bowl and mixed for 15-20 mins) Transfer to a freezer safe container, freeze until solid.
- Yields 1 Quart.
- Top off with desired toppings such as sprinkles, hot fudge or mini chocolate chips, if desired.